Phantasy Star Universe announced
SEGA of America has details of the announcement of the new Phantasy Star Universe. Here you have the official press release:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (April 8, 2005) – SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd today announced Phantasy Star Universe, the next installment in the popular Phantasy Star series, developed for both the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system and the PC. Phantasy Star Universe offers two complete RPG experiences - a single-player action adventure spanning multiple planets, and a robust online multi-player component.
Developed by SEGA Studios under the guidance of Yuji Naka, the creator of Sonic The Hedgehog and Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Universe offers long-time fans the epic experience they have been clamoring for. The solo adventure features more than 40 hours of gameplay, an emotionally engaging story, traditional cut scenes, and strong character development. The title's hero is Ethan Waber, a 17-year old cadet intent on saving his sister, who is living on a planet under siege by mysterious life forces called THE SEED.
In Online Mode, players are given the opportunity to create their own characters from a range of races, and they get to explore all three planets in the Grarl solar system. Fans can travel with a squad of other adventurers, enter urban sprawls teeming with hundreds of other players, and build their avatars into powerful warriors.
"Phantasy Star has a rich history, both as a single-player RPG franchise and as an online multi-player series," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Entertainment Marketing, SEGA of America. "By fully supporting both gameplay modes in one package, we will be able to provide gamers with a fantasy role-playing experience of unprecedented depth."
The first Phantasy Star game to appear on a PlayStation platform, Phantasy Star Universe will offer a rich, constantly evolving world that will provide years of entertainment to fans of the series and RPG enthusiasts. The game is slated to ship in Spring 2006.
Key Product Features:
- The first major offline Phantasy Star game in more than a decade.The robust, full-featured single-player campaign offers more than 40 hours of gameplay.
- Three enormous planets to explore. A gigantic overworld and more than twenty giant dungeons are featured.
- All-new enemies to fight. In addition to a brand-new roster of standard opponents, there are more than 15 major bosses to challenge.
- Player-controlled vehicles. Players no longer need to travel everywhere by foot, adding a new dimension to exploration.
- The best online Phantasy Star experience to date. The game features a game world that will evolve with new content over the course of several years.